Community
Netfabb Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Netfabb Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Netfabb topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove the first layer with nothing printed of an exported SLM file?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
yhzhang0116
113 Views, 4 Replies

How to remove the first layer with nothing printed of an exported SLM file?

Hi,

When I export SLM file after slicing, it will always have an empty first layer which prints nothing. For example, if the height of a sample is 200 micron and layer thickness is 40 micron. It will generate 6 layers. After the first layer printing nothing, it will start print on the second layer. 

Is it possible to remove that first layer?

Best wishes

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hello, @yhzhang0116,

Yes, Netfabb always slices like so, with the first layer being at zero Z and with slice volume projected downwards, not upwards. That is why Netfabb keeps the first layer empty, otherwise there would be beam exposure on blank buildplate.

Depending on your choice from the various methods of creating toolpath and buildfile that Netfabb offers, options are available to suppress the first layer.

Please specify how you generate the toolpath data and export the SLM file.

Kind regards,

Steffen

Steffen Anders

Autodesk Netfabb Team

Netfabb resources: Online HelpNetfabb knowledge baseForumsHomepageYouTube
Message 3 of 5

Hi Steffen,

I want to create a single track with layer thickness of 40 microns. I just created a box and remove triangles with a single wall left. Then slice that track and set the process parameters like power and mark speed. Then expert file as SLM file.

Message 4 of 5

Hi Steffen,

Is there any solution to my question? Thx!

Best wishes

Yunhao

Message 5 of 5

Hello, @yhzhang0116,

Ah, so you are using manual slicing in the project tree.

When you drag the part to Slices, specify Start to be 1× layer thickness instead of zero.

This omits what is normally the first empty layer, and the slice data in the SLM file starts with the first non-empty layer at height of 1× layer thickness.

Kind regards,

Steffen

Steffen Anders

Autodesk Netfabb Team

Netfabb resources: Online HelpNetfabb knowledge baseForumsHomepageYouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report