Community
HSM Support Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Contour - Lead Ins Not Subject to Machining Boundary?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tdswanson
231 Views, 4 Replies

3D Contour - Lead Ins Not Subject to Machining Boundary?

I'm trying to contour a very odd shaped part and I'm having trouble.  A common trick that I use involves making a sketch that can serve as a "container" for various 3D operations.  This particular part has raised a problem that I've not run into before.  In this image, you can see the purple line that's from a sketch.  I used that box on the machining boundary tab with the selection "Tool inside boundary" with an offset of 0.

One would think that this would keep the tool inside the selected boundary, right?  It appears that this is true for the actual machining of the contour on the part model, but the tool is apparently permitted to go wherever it wants for the purpose of the lead in.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Contour Container.png

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ckautz
in reply to: tdswanson

I have noticed that a lot of toolpaths don't listen to boundary for leads. I typically do Ramp, the lead-ins/outs are dictated by the machining boundary if you don't enable "contact only", but it causes gouges in some situations. 

Message 3 of 5
lenny_1962

Do you have a iso view to see more detail?

Sometimes you have to model the part to get what you want the cutter to do and not what the finised part looks like.

I will make a cofiguration of the part just for that cut when a boundry doesn't work, Fusion 360 now can use configurations like SolidWorks and HSMWorks has since day one.

yes I'm a SW\HSMWorks guy

Message 4 of 5
tdswanson
in reply to: lenny_1962

@lenny_1962 

This project is just for a quote at this point and I'm not sure that the project has much of a chance of moving forward.  If this really became a problem, the other thing I was considering doing is making a dummy cylinder of the stock in the area that I don't want the tool to hit, putting that in and calling it a fixture in the setup.  Seems like the operation should be intelligent enough that I wouldn't have to pull those shenanigans.  I don't recall seeing lead-ins outside the machining boundary before, but that might be coincidence.  Just wondering if this a bug from a recent software update or if it's always been like this and I've just never run across it before.

Message 5 of 5
lenny_1962

Again I dont use CON-Fusion360 only HSMWorks in SolidWorks so I couldn't say if update or not.

I just know every once and a while some parts act different and you need to go outside the norm to getter done.

lenny

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report